Whether you’re allergic to tomatoes, or avoiding produce in the nightshade family, this is an amazing, healthy alternative to tomato-based sauces. Using beets and carrots to replace the tomatoes adds a unique color and flavor profile that no one can turn down!
For approximately 6 cups
2 1/2 c. Carrots, steamed
1/3 c. Beets, steamed
2/3 c. water from steaming pot
3 Tb. Lemon Juice
1/2 c. Olive Oil
1/4 c. Butter
2 c. Onions, chopped
1 c. Celery, chopped
4 Garlic cloves, minced
8 Tb. Parmesan Cheese, grated
4 tsp. dried Basil
4 tsp. dried Oregano
2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
4 small Bay Leaves
2 tsp. Fennel Seeds
To steam the Beets and Carrots:
1. Wash and peel the Beets and Carrots.
2. Add steamer basket to a large pot with 2 inches of water in the bottom and bring to a boil.
3. Add Beets and Carrots and steam, covered, for 15 minutes, or until soft.
4. Let sit until cool enough to handle, then set aside Carrots and Beets in separate bowls.
5. Mash Beets and Carrots (if you have extra, save it in the freezer for the next batch).
To make Sauce:
1. In a large pot, melt the Butter with the Oil.
2. Add the Onion, Celery, and Garlic and sauté until soft and transparent.
3. Add the steamed Beets and Carrots, water from steaming pot, and Lemon Juice and mix well.
4. Add remaining ingredients, and bring to a slow simmer.
6. Simmer for 60 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
7. Allow to cool and remove Bay Leaves.
8. Add sauce to blender and blend until smooth (or use an immersion blender and mix directly in the pot).
Use as a sauce for pasta, pizza, or whatever else you can think of! I freeze the sauce in 1 c. containers and thaw as needed.